Saturday, October 3, 2026

Saturday's Critters #668

     Welcome to Saturday's Critters! Hello and Happy Saturday!


 If you love all God's creatures like I do and also like to blog about them and take critter photos this is where you can share your critter post. Link up your post and share your critters, join in with my critter party ! You can share any kind of critters the real ones, pretend ones, statues and paintings, a new or old post!


"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir


Another post of mish-mash images, from our local walks. Of course I have some back yard birds and butterflies. Is it just me or are Saturdays or any day rolling around pretty fast?  Between dialysis for hubby three times a week and doctor and test appointments, they go even faster. I wish I could slow time down.  


Click on images for better viewing.



1. A walk with Miney on the local Prettyboy fire road.  The trail looks familiar I am sure, it is one of my favorite local walks. The deer bow hunting has started in the reservoir watershed, I am kind of leery walking on the trail when I see lots of trucks parked nearby. 




2. Merlin app birds heard during my walk with Miney.





I've been seeing the Gray Catbird in my yard, I think they are enjoying the various berries. 











3. The Carolina Wren is one of my year round back yard birds.  





4. Another visit with our son and his family, Pop-pop loves some hugs from our grandsons. Our son is still finishing up work on the deck he built on the back of his home. 







5. Google search is saying the butterfly below is called the Painted Lady Butterfly. It has the white spots on the tips of their wings. 






6. I created a mosaic of images from my walk with Miney to the Prettyboy reservoir. 




A large flock of geese were pecking away at the grass and mud.  





7. The Merlin app birds heard during our walk to the Prettyboy Reservoir. You can see the lake is more like a stream, we need rain.  




8. Below the American Robin is one of the common birds seen in my area. 





9. The Prettyboy Reservoir is dry in a lot of spots, it is mostly grass, weeds and mud now. 







I am linking up to Heidrun's Mosaic Monday   I hope you can stop by and visit Heidrun and check out the Mosaic Monday post.




Thanks to all my visitors and for your past and present comments. Stop back to see any replies to your comments. I appreciate everyone who loves and respects wildlife. Thank you for linking up a critter post.




Check out  Catblogosphere.com





Here is my linky:






Thank you for sharing your critters and post! 

108 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Don't think I have ever seen a catbird before..really beautiful! Your grandsons are so sweet and adorable. Happy Saturday!

diane b said...

So many beautiful birds in your area. Sad about the river drying up. I hope you get rain soon. I just wrote that on an English blog post too. The whole world is drying up. Scary for the wildlife. Love your walks with Miney.

Shiju Sugunan said...

That Gray Catbird is gorgeous, and the grandson hugs are the best. Hope you get some much-needed rain for the reservoir soon!

italiafinlandia said...

The Painted lady butterfly is very common in Finland too.
All the birds that you hear in your walks are a good company.
Have a nice weekend and enjoy the Fall!

EricaSta said...

Good morning, dear Blogfriend Eileen, another weekend with a lovely walk with Miney in the nature. Wonderful!
But most, I believe, it’s the visit of your grandsons. I know, this is the greatest pleasure.
Have a good week ahead. Thank you for sharing and for hosting. Greetings by Heidrun ❤️

rainfield61 said...

"I wish I could slow time down."
I am doubtful after going through all the exchanges between Alice, the Hatter and the March Hare.
The Dormouse doesn't offer any clue too.
Take care. Have a great weekend.

Cloudia said...

Nice to meet your family. Thank you Aloha!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I love that foggy road, Eileen! And it must be so fun to have sch a young Grandpa! Mine were long gone when I came around.
Have a wonderful Saturday and of course weekend!

Irma said...

Hello Eileen,
You’ve shared a beautiful series of photos and collages.
Time really does fly, I can imagine that when your husband has to undergo medical tests three times a week, it seems to go by even faster.
The American Robin is my favorite this time.
You hardly hear any birds here anymore; last week, however, I heard a Cetti's Warbler for the first time and recorded it using the Merlin app.
I wish you a wonderful weekend.
All the best, Irma

Marit said...

Hello Eileen,
As always, you show beautiful photos of the birds and butterflies at your place. Great photos of your grandsons. I have also seen the butterfly you call the Painted Lady here. They are so beautiful.
Have a lovely day and weekend.

chica said...

Linda foto da Miney observando o reservatório! O vovô feliz com os netinhos.Isso é muito bom e faaz bem! E tens razão de ter medo de passar pelo caminho onde a caça foi liberada, podes receber um susto,rs...
beijos, tudo de bom,chica

William Kendall said...

The catbird is a beauty.

Alexandra said...

We still have Robins here, not all have migrated, although it is a challenge to spot them as they blend into the autumn colours. That is a beautiful picture of the reservoir but the beauty is lessened knowing the desperate need for rain.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is a pretty reservoir! And a lovely family.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Walking familiar and well-worn paths holds its very own charm, as we rediscover them over the year as the seasons unfold and the cycle of life for all contained there is observed... thank you once again for sharing (and I adore your portrait of the Robin!) YAM xx

Tom said...

Eileen, you had so many wonderful sightings and grandpa and the boys is so sweet.Thanks for hosting, I wish you a wonderful weekend.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your header photo is so pretty and those are all such wonderful critters, especially the little human critters!

The Florida Furkids said...

Great bird photos and pretty butterfly!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Hello, Eileen. Lovely shots of the critters -- also the human kind! I agree with you, this year has just flown by. Thanks for hosting and have a great new week!

Basil and The B Team ~ BionicBasil ® said...

Happy Catuday Eileen! I know I say it every week, but we adore joining you on your outdoor adventures, it's so much fun, seriously, it makes our day! Thank mew! 🐾😻🐾😻🐾

Barbara Rogers said...

What a gaggle of geese there were! And they look huge. Sorry the reservoir is so low. Grands are so wonderful to visit, aren't they!

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Hi Eileen! Carolina Wrens are also regular residents in our backyard. However, I rarely see any American Robins. We do get the Painted Lady Butterflies. As always, your picture of Pop-pop with his grandsons takes your show. Blessings to you and your family.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The grandsons are very lively looking. Nothing like kids around to liven things up and cheer up their Grand Dad.
I love all the birds you find. Based on one of your recent posts I have started leaving Merlin on my walks and hikes and it makes a difference, I am hearing a lot more birds now.
Sad about your lake drying up. It is happening here as well, some of the lakes at nature centers are just big mudholes right now and some of the creeks are the lowest I have ever seen them.
Thank you for being a faithful host of Saturday's Critters.

an artist reflects said...

Eileen ~ your bird photos are always `delightful ~ favorites are the ones of Miney, your hubby and grand sons ~ Wishing you a happy weekend and week ahead ~ Hugs ^_^

Helma said...

Hello Eileen,
I posted the Starlings on your page this week.
Next week, my post from yesterday about the Kingfisher will follow.
Regards, Helma

RedPat said...

I hope that you are wearing bright colours when walking on the trail, Eileen. Great shot of the Catbird.

Jeanie said...

I was wondering where MIney would take us today! I love shots that look up at the trees, but my fave pic is Pop Pop and the kids!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the catbird's call. You always have the most fun with Miney! Enjoy your weekend! Thanks for the fun! Hugs, Diane

Penelope Notes said...

Your young grandchildren seem as fresh and bright as the fluffy robin you photographed. :)

HappyK said...

Grandkids getting big. Lovely photo. Great critter photos and my favorite is the robin.

Mary Kirkland said...

If I was near that trail I would be walking it a lot too, it's so nice. I loved the pictures.

Linda G said...

Your grandsons are adorable. I love the picture of the boys with their grandfather.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Pop and the kids is such a sweet photo, dear Eileen! Gorgeous captures of your lovely nature walks with Miney! Thank you so much for sharing. Hope you are having a great weekend!

pilch92 said...

Great photos, especially your grandsons with their Pop pop.

Jennifer said...

I love bird pictures!! Was going to pick a favorite..but just couldn't single one out:)

John's Island said...

Hi Eileen, Wow, I sure heard you when you said, “I wish I could slow time down.” Amen. Yes, the days are rolling by faster than ever for me. I turned 79 this year. I tried to find the good in that and decided … well, at least it’s not the big 8-oh. 😊 Eileen, I so admire you for publishing Saturday’s Critters every Saturday without fail. I could not do it. After blogging fairly regularly for so many years, I have started slowing down. Today, I decided to “update” my last post which I published on September 8th. So, I added a few new pictures and let everyone know all-is-well and I’m not gone for good. 😊 I hope you are OK with me linking the update. I enjoyed all your photos in this post and my favorite is Pop-pop with the grandkids. Happy weekend and week ahead to you and hubby! John

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

No Eileen you are not the only one that think life is going by too quickly I think as we get older, it goes quicker!!! You photos from each of your walks bring a blessing to everyone Thanks for hositng and commenting. Have a great week ahead.

Eastside Cats said...

Being out in nature and enjoying all the critters is wonderful stuff.

rupam sarma said...

Hello Hope your are doing fine. Glad to read your post, Awesome photos. Beautiful birds. Lovely family moments. Thanks a lot for hosting. Greetings.

Linda said...

I hope to see a cat bird soon. I don’t think I’ve seen one since winter.

Handmade in Israel said...

Your shot of the American Robin is fabulous - and I always enjoy seeing Miney!

Joyful said...

Beautiful photos. Have a wonderful Sunday.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Angie, for your comment and your visit.
The Catbird is a pretty bird.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Diane, for your comment and your visit.
The droughts are scary, we really do need the rain.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Shiju, for your link and your comment.
Hugs are the best!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Luisella, for your comment and your visit.
I do enjoy hearing the birds on my walks.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Heidrun, for your link and your comment.
We do love our grandson, they are always a joy to visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Rainfield, for your comment and your visit.
If only we could slow time.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Cloudia, for your link and your comment.
The kiddies are a joy!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Eileen,
Great pictures in this post. Wonderful to see that bird on shot 10. So special.
And what a great area on shot 11. Fantastic to walk there. And this year there where a lot of geese.
Funny shot of the 2 guys.

Many greetings,
Marco

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Iris, for your link and your comment.
Pop-pop will be a young 70 in December.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Irma, for your link and your comment.
It is fun using the Merlin App, you never know what bird the app will hear. Hubby would like all these tests done and over.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Marit, for your link and your comment.
The butterfly was pretty.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Chica, for your comment and your visit.
Hubby does love hugs from the grandkids!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you William, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Alexandra, for your link and your comment.
I think the robins are here year round, a lot of the birds are blending in with the leaves now.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Jenn, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you YAM, for your comment and your visit.
I always enjoy my walks on the trails, there is always something to see..
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Tom, for your link and your comment.
The boys are sweet and Pop-pop loves his hugs.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Nick, for your link and your comment.
The year is flying by, way too fast.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Barb, for your link and your comment.
Yes, we love to visit with the grands!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Arnoldo, for your link and your comment.
It is always a treat to see which birds will show up in the yards.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Alan, for your link and your comment.
It is scary to hear about so many lakes and reservoirs drying up. We need the water, more rain.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Carol, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Helma, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you RedPat, for your link and your comment.
Sometimes I am lucky getting a good shot of the bird.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Jeanie, for your comment and your visit.
We do love those kiddies.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Diane, for your link and your comment.
I like hearing the Catbirds calls too.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Maria, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Karen, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Mary, for your comment and your visit.
It is a pretty trail for walking.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Linda, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Linda, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Jennifer, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you John, for your link and your comment.
It seems to older we get the time goes by even faster.
I am happy to share my walks and love of the critters.
I will look forward to any your update posts.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Margaret, for your link and your comment.
Time is going by way too fast.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your comment and your visit.
Nature is a joy, I love my walks with my dog.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Linda, for your link and your comment.
My Catbirds must be heading south now.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Lisa, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Penny, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Marco, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

EricaSta said...

I enjoyed reading very much. Thank you for sharing at MosaicMonday and your nice comment.

Greetings by Heidrun

messymimi said...

Ah the critters, big, small, winged, and even two legged! They are all a joy.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Lovely photos and those boys look like they bring a lot of joy.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Yay for the visits from all the little birds, especially your Carolina Wrens and the very special visits from your grandsons!
Have a great week
Wren x

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for hosting Mosaic Monday!
Take care, have a wonderful week!

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your comment and visit.
The critters and the grandkids are a joy.
Take care, have a wonderful week!

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Judee for your comment and visit.
Yes, the kiddies are a joy!
Take care, have a wonderful week!

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Wren, for your comment and visit.
I do love my sweet Carolina Wren.
Take care, have a wonderful week!

Bill said...

Nature walks, birds, butterfies and time with your grands, it doesn't get better than that. Lovely photos, Eileen and have a wonderful week.

Sharon Wagner said...

I love that first tree canopy shot. Happy birding this week!

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Bill, for your comment and visit.
The walks, critters and the grandkids are a joy.
Take care, have a wonderful week!

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Sharon, for your comment and link.
Take care, have a wonderful week!

DeniseinVA said...

Sweet photo of Pop-Pop and grandchildren. Wonderful photos from your walks. Have a great week Eileen.

Hena Tayeb said...

I hadn't heard of a cat bird before. Thanks for sharing.

Lowcarb team member said...

A lovely post here Eileen ... I did enjoy seeing the American Robin it's bigger than out Eurasian one.
Super photograph of your hubby and grandsons ... lovely smiles.

I wish you happy and peaceful October days.

All the best Jan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I am loving your nature walks as always and the way you use your Merlin app. I don't rememberto use it often enough. Thanks for the reminder. Your grandboys are adorable and I can tell how much they love their pop pop;!!

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Denise, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Jan, for your comment and your visit.
Hubby loves getting hugs from the grands.
Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Sallie, for your comment and your visit.
We do love our grands, they are a joy.
Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely photos, especially the American Robin. I was interested to see your photo of the Painted Lady. We've had a good year for Painted Ladies over here in Scotland.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Juliet, I appreciate your visit and comment.
I was happy with all my butterfly sightings this season.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy weekend.

Happy Monday!

  Wishing everyone a great day and a happy new week! "Not all stars belong in the sky." "May the stars of the sea bring you l...