Saturday, August 8, 2026

Saturday's Critters # 660

Welcome to Saturday's Critters! Hello and Happy Saturday!


 If you love all God's creatures like I do and also like to blog about them and take critter photos this is where you can share your critter post. Link up your post and share your critters, join in with my critter party ! You can share any kind of critters the real ones, pretend ones, statues and paintings, a new or old post!


"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir


Lately I am sharing a mish-mash of photos from my back yard and my walks with Miney and Hubby. 


Click on images for better viewing.



1. The American Goldfinches one of my regular back yard bird visiting the thistle feeder.  




Below a female Goldfinch, waiting for her turn on the feeder. 





2. The Red-bellied Woodpecker, lately I have been watching a family of four of these birds coming and going to my feeder. They love the little peanut suet balls.




The Gray Squirrels will take over my feeders and empty the bird feeders in the blink of an eye. 



A juvenile Red-bellied Woodpecker, one of the family of 4 I have been seeing on my deck.  





3. A walk with Miney and hubby on the NCR bike trail in Parkton Md. I like seeing the Bee Balm blooming at the start of our walk. Along the trail we had 3 sightings of deer, luckily Miney only saw one. I think Miney would chase them if she could. I did see one Great Blue Heron, standing in the river it was mostly hidden by some tree branches. 





One of the deer we saw off the NCR bike trail.





4. On the drive home from the walk, I had to stop the car and let this group of Canada Geese cross the road.







5. A walk with Miney on the local Prettyboy fire road. 










The Merlin app picked the Ovenbird as my bird of the day, you can see above and my Ovenbird collage below.  They are breeders in the Prettyboy watershed area around our neighborhood.



This downed tree was my turn around spot and head home.






6. Back at home after our walk, I captured a male Eastern Bluebird standing on top of one of our birdhouses.  I think the couple has started on a new nest.




Some of the flowers on our deck, they attract the hummingbirds and butterflies.




"Make the present moment into the most wonderful moment of your life."


7. Another walk with Miney on the local fire road at Prettyboy. 






I hope you enjoyed coming along on my walks and the birds and critters I am sharing today. 



I am linking up to Heidrun's Mosaic Monday   I hope you can stop by and visit Heidrun and check out the Mosaic Monday post.




Thanks to all my visitors and for your past and present comments. Stop back to see any replies to your comments. I appreciate everyone who loves and respects wildlife. Thank you for linking up a critter post.




Check out  Catblogosphere.com





Here is my linky:






Thank you for sharing your critters and post! 

100 comments:

Shiju Sugunan said...

Lovely photos, Eileen! That juvenile Red-bellied Woodpecker is so neat to see.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I did Elaine! As always I enjoyed walking with you and Miney and hubby! Even in hot summmer, you have such good bird sightings. Its so nice to have bird families visit your porch and feeders! Thank you for all you do!! Have a good week.

Angie's Recipes said...

Love goldfinches! Birds are going to love your deck :-))

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Priceless, as you'd never see something like that down in SW Texas! I LOVE that picture of the Canadian Geese crossing the road. Blessings!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Beautiful colors!! That is a large group of Canada Geese. So good that is not a crowded road. Love seeing your photos. Have a great weekend!

-Soma

Yvonne said...

I've never seen a flock of Canadian Geese walking across a highway. That must have been exciting. It's also nice that you have a family of red-bellied Woodpeckers eating from your feeders. Twice a year we have a new family of squirrels at our feeder, from their nest across the street in a tall tree. They definitely eat a lot of sunflower seeds. It's always nice to read your news on your walks in the countryside. Take care, and have a lovely weekend.

italiafinlandia said...

Yes, I am sure your readers enjoyed this post!
The Bluebird is absolutely charming and the Canada geese crossing the road surely a funny view.
Thanks for takng us along.
Happy weekend and to the next walk! 🌈

EricaSta said...

A sleepless night is taking its toll on my housework... Good morning, dear blog friend Eileen; I’m really enjoying the blog round-up again today – starting with your post. The colourful birds, an adorable squirrel and, of course, sweet Minnie on your walks.

Thanks for hosting, and best wishes from Heidrun

Irma said...

Hello Eileen,
Beautiful series of photos from your walks.
The male Eastern Bluebird and the Squirrel are my favorites.
I wish you a lovely weekend.
All the best, Irma

Life Images by Jill, West Australia said...

I enjoy your mish mash's - you always have something interesting to share. Your deck with the flowers and the bird feeders attracting birds, with that backdrop of trees looks wonderful. Have a wonderful week ahead, and thankyou again for the linkup.

Adam Jones said...

A lovely post Eileen. I love a walk that brings lots of wildlife too. I really like the Ovenbird images. They're a great looking bird.

rupam sarma said...

Glad to read your post, Awesome photos. Birds looks great, Goldfinches, Red-bellied Woodpecke Beautiful. Miney's walk amazing. Thanks a lot for hosting. Happy weekend.

chica said...

Que amor os pintassilgos! E a turma de gansos atravessando foi lindo de ver! Tu sempre encontras coisas lindas para nos mostrar!
Ótimo fim de semana!
beijos, chica

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, such beautiful birds, and so nice to see a squirrel - I miss "mine"... It´s really different to living in the city! Have a nice Saturday and weekend, Eileen!

magiceye said...

All such lovely cuties!
Have a great weekend!

Jenn Jilks said...

That was a great turnaround spot! It looks like my forest...Your flowers are lovely.

Linda said...

I love the variety, or mish mash as you call it, of all the photos. My posts have turned into the same too. Have a lovely weekend.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great images. I especially like your golden finches. I finally had a glimpse of one on a hike recently. Such a beautiful bird.
Thank you for being such a faithful host.

Tom said...

...Eileen, you have a beautiful collection today, I was drawn to the deer in the lush green forest. Be well.

Brian's Home Blog said...

So many beautiful critters today, the goldfinches are so pretty!

The Florida Furkids said...

Beautiful birds!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Beautiful shots, Eileen. You certainly have a wealth of wildlife around your place. Thanks for hosting and have a great new week!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Eileen
Lovely walk in the woods being greeted by so many wonderful birds! Love the bluebird! Have a wonderful weekend.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Well, you sure hit the jackpot with the geese sighting! What fun. Love catching a bird in song. Great photos this week my friend. Happy weekend!

RedPat said...

Watching the Goldfinches is such fun, Eileen.

ellen b. said...

That's an interesting bird name, Ovenbird. It is always nice to walk the trails with you. Have a nice Saturday.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Such a lovely walk! I have a hard time catching sight of a Woodpecker although I hear them all the time. Have a great weekend!

Laura. M said...

Un buen grupo de gansos. No solo a los jájaros Eileen, a mi también me gustan tus preciosas flores.
Buen fin de semana.
Un abrazo.

Violetta said...

A wonderful Saturday dear Eileen - nice walks with Miney. And so nice pictures of the birds and the squirl. And that was very polite of you to let the crowd of geese pass the street.
Have a good time and all the best...a bit late this time
Violetta

an artist reflects said...

Always wonderful nature photography here and especially enjoy your walks with Miney ~ stunning photos of the birds ~ squirrel can be a pest here ~ Happy Wheeled to you and thanks for commenting on my blog ~ Hugs ^_^

Penelope Notes said...

Love the photo of the deer by the tree, it is really quite enchanting.

William Kendall said...

Cute squirrel!

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello Eileen
Thank you for sharing this lovely collection of photographs showing your sightings.
It was nice to see your colourful deck flowers too.
Have a happy weekend.

All the best Jan

rainfield61 said...

The birds are so beautiful, especially the female Goldfinch.
She glimpsed at you.
Have a good day.

pilch92 said...

All beautiful photos. Have a nice weekend. XO

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Oh Eileen, I love ❤️ these photos of your walk. And what a large gaggle of Canada 🇨🇦 geese. I hope you are having a great weekend.

Linda said...

Excellent bird photos!

Handmade in Israel said...

Beautiful photos! I especially love the one of the geese crossing the road.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Well, Blogger was very tardy delivering the post, but I am glad to see it and enjoy all that colour on your deck, the crossing geese, the warbling and feeding and to yet again love that you have so much beauty to share! YAM xx

Marit said...

Hello Eileen,
Those are wonderful pictures you show. The birds, the flowers and Miney are all so beautiful. Your blog didn't come up in my blog list until today. Sometimes it takes a really long time unfortunately. But we can't help it.
Take care, and have a great Sunday!

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Shiju, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Sallie, for your link and your comment.
Yes, I am lucky to see the birds year round.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Angie, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Arnoldo, for your link and your comment.
The geese crossing was a fun sight to see.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Soma, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Yvonne, for your link and your comment.
I do enjoy my birdwatching, my simple pleasure.
I hope you are doing well!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Luisella, for your comment and your visit.
The bluebird is my favorite!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Heidrun, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Irma, for your link and your comment.
I love my bluebirds.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Jill, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Adam, for your link and your comment.
The Ovenbird is a great breeder in my area, they are quiet now. Maybe moving south already.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Chica, for your comment and your visit.
I did not mind stopping and watching the geese crossing the road. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Iris, for your link and your comment.
We see lots of squirrels here!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Jenn, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Linda, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Yogi, for your link and your comment.
The goldfinches are sweet!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Tom for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your link and your comment.
Yes, the goldfinches are pretty.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Nick, for your link and your comment.
We are lucky to live next to a park like setting and have the lake nearby. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Pat, for your link and your comment.
I love my bluebirds.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Diane, for your link and your comment.
The geese sighting was a fun sight!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you RedPat, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Ellen, for your comment and your visit.
Ovenbird is a strange name.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Terri, for your link and your comment.
I am lucky to see the woodpecker every day.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Laura, for your comment and your visit.
I do love seeing the birds and all flowers do look pretty this year. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Violetta, for your link and your comment.
Yes, I had fun watching the geese crossing the road, they took their time too. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Carol, for your link and your comment.
The squirrels are bad when they hang on my bird feeders.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Maria, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you William, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Jan, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Rainfield, for your l comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Linda, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Linda, for your link and your comment.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Lisa, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you YAM, for your comment and your visit.
Blogger has been slow updating.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Marit, for your link and your comment.
Yes, blogger has been very slow with the updates.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

Katerinas Blog said...

What a wonderful collection of photos, Eileen,
featuring these fantastic creatures of nature.
They contrast so sharply with the highway...
Have a great new week!!

Eastside Cats said...

I've downloaded the Merlin app, and discovered that our local Carolina Wren is the one making such beautiful music every morning.
Belong to several birding groups on social media, and enjoy their lovely images from our nearby Metroparks and private locations.
Whenever I'm at a park and meet with someone in camouflage and a HUGE lens on their camera, I engage in chat because I've probably 'hearted' one or more of their images.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I did enjoy the walk and all your beautiful flowers on your Deck. Also love that cute bluebird on you little bird house. Always love to see Miney... but you knew that already.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Sandra, for your comment and your visit.
Miney and I love our walks, sometimes we get my hubby out walking too.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Katerina, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your comment and your visit.
The Carolina Wren sounds lovely, I heard them this morning during my walk. I am amazed at the huge lenses that the birdwatchers are carrying. My arm would hurt. They do have some beautiful bird photos!
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

DeniseinVA said...

I always enjoy my virtual walks with you Eileen. An abundance of wildlife and nature in general, fantastic! Thank you, have a wonderful day and week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Denise, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

21 Wits said...

Hello Eileen, I just completed my critter post, and it's still the weekend! Your critter posts are always so incredibly interesting, not just your great shots and captures of the critters, but the areas you walk about are all so beautiful. What a great place to be a part of! Thank you. Enjoy the new week ahead, we're just slightly past the middle of summer. Yikes! Too soon, right?!

Mary Kirkland said...

I love squirrels. So many pretty birds.

messymimi said...

It's a delight to go on your walks with you, even if I am late doing it.

Basil and The B Team ~ BionicBasil ® said...

A totally terrific post, we so adore the adventures!!! Happy Monday!!! 😻🐾✨🐾😻

EricaSta said...

Each week I read with great pleasure. Thank you for sharing at

MosaicMonday

Greetings by Heidrun ❤️

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Karen, for your comment and your link.
Summer is going fast, too fast for me.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Mary, for your comment and your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your comment and I appreciate your visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you for your comment and your link.
Take care, Happy Monday! Enjoy the new week ahead.

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Heidrun, for hosting Mosaic Monday!
Have a happy Monday and a great week!

handmade by amalia said...

There is a woodpecker in our garden. Very industrious but nowhere near as colorful as yours. I've never seen such a gorgeous woodpecker.
Amalia
xo

eileeninmd said...

Thank you Amalia, your comment is appreciated.
Have a great day and happy week ahead.

Happy Monday!

   Wishing everyone a great day and a happy new week! "Peace begins with a smile." Mother Teresa Mirror Lake, MT Hood, Oregon ...