Friday, September 9, 2011

My latest lifer...Cape May Warbler

For my Friday Ark and Camera Critters post I am showing my latest lifer the Cape May Warbler.

The coolest thing about my new lifer, It was seen right on the fireroad in the reservoir just across from my house. Usually I will run all around trying to add a new bird to my life list and this one practically came to me. Very NICE!



The Cape May Warblers are described to have a blackish crown, yellow eyebrow with some chestnut. A yellow throat but may have some chestnut at the throat area too. Olive green back, yellow rump, white belly and undertail and a white wing patch. Breast side and upper belly are streaked with black.




I have seen different warblers over the years at these same berries they are on the top of the plant or tree called the Devil's Walking stick, also known as Hercules Club. What names! I think the white and the purple colored berries are pretty. I was very happy to see this beautiful bird and to add another warbler to my life list.  Now, I have to figure out how to grow this plant in my yard from the berries. Is this possible, does anyone know? I assume there are seeds in these berries. How cool would that be to have this plant in my yard and have all these beautiful warblers coming to eat the berries.

I hope you enjoyed my new lifer the Cape May Warbler  and to see more cute and wonderful animals please visit the Friday Ark  and Camera Critters.  Thanks to the hosts of both the Friday Ark and Misty Dawn of Camera Critters. Thank you also for stopping by to see my post. \

I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend and HAPPY BIRDING...

31 comments:

  1. i'm just as impressed with that tree as i am with the warbler. beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. I'm looking forward to checking your archived posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! those flowers are pretty as well, but to catch a bird, and such a special bird - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting for you! You definitely need to figure out how to have some of that Devil's Walking Stick in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got another bird for your list. I'm not really sure what that plant is--I'm sure it would grow from seed, but it might be easier to take cuttings from the tips of the branches and get those rooted. See if you can find out the name of it--that would help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those dark berries make such a wonderful background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this was very special for you Eileen - congrats on the capture!
    I love that tree. I'm going to google that and see if it will grow here. It's an attractive plant and attracting birds is a plus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet-looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty bird and very pretty berries. I hope you figure out how to grow them to attract the warblers.
    I love reading about the bird coming to you, instead of you looking for it. Wonderful!
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good capture. I always have trouble being quiet enough to get birds to "pose" for me. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting, Eileen! I haven't started my life list yet but I really think I should. It sounds like a fun thing to do.

    Where do you keep your list?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice shots. I'm so happy one of the birds on your life list came to you for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful bloom and the pretty bird is a great bonus.

    Beautiful critter.

    Pussy Cat, have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dont know who is more beautiful...the bird or the berries....with the dopubt...I chose BOTH

    CONGRATS, SWEETHEART

    I WAS OUT OF BLOGSPHERE BUT NOW, I´M BACK.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots of the warbler. Love all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm learning a lot about birding from you, Eileen, and your enthusiasm is infectious. This is a pretty Cape May Warbler, and I'm also fascinated by the white, black and pink plant right behind him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always good to get a new bird Eileen and even better so close to home and when you are least expecting it. Shows the value of always keeping your eyes and ears open! Good idea about the berries and I'm sure they will grow if you pot a few up on the windowsill where you can watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see that you had fun running after this cute little bird. Happy birding...Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  19. The bird is nice, but what really caught my eye is that wonderful plant in the background. It adds so much interest to your shot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never seen such plant or tree, these colored berries are really beautiful and the little yellow bird fits in perfecty !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ive never seen or heard of such a plant. The photos are wonderful.

    http://butterybooks.com/blog/camera-critters-homer-the-office-cat/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow i would love to have lifers coming to me instead of me running after them ;-) BEautiful lifer you got, and even more, you got nice shots! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. congrats to the lifer. But it did not really want to cooperate, did it? But you got shots enough to id it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your Cape May Warbler!!! I love the wee warblers! Wish I could help with the plant issue, but I am clueless!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats! one of my favorite warblers~

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a lovely birds, it's always nice when a new bird is so co-operative!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an exciting finding! The flowers and the berries stood out beautifully with the Cape May Warbler.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The fleshlight
    was created in part, to address the dangers associated with promiscuity, the spread of
    STD s sexually transmitted illnesses, and unwanted pregnancy.
    Tennis, golf, martial arts, hiking and cycling are just
    a few minutes and stick it back on.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...