Friday, May 11, 2012

More Curacao birds



I am linking up with Camera Critters. 

Happy Mother's Day to my Mom blogging friends.

I have some more Curacao birds from our trip. On this day, hubby and I rented a car and drove around the island. At first it was more like we got lost, we did not know there was a detour and missed a turn. But, this turned out to be a good thing because we found the one of the Curacao birds that was on my wish list of birds to see.


Curacao has wild Pink Flamingos. I have only seen them previously in zoos, being a "birder" zoo birds are just not the same as seeing in them free their own habitat. So to seeing the Pink Flamingos in the wild was on my list of things I had to see in Curacao. Thanks to being lost we found the Pink Flamingos.



Another stop with the rental car was at the Shete Boka Nat'l Park. I was really enjoying the birds at the sugar feeder. Here are a few of the Bananaquits.


 A cute Yellow Warbler was also enjoying the sugar feeder.



Above is the Yellow Warbler and the Bananaquit. I had no idea that birds loved raw sugar. One of the park employees dumped more sugar in the feeder so I could watch the birds up close. The feeder at times was filled with all different birds all satisfying their sugar cravings.


I saw this American Kestrel in the park, he was trying to hide in this bush. I guess the Kestrel is seen all over the world? This post should actually be before my last sunset post it all took place on the same day.

I hope you enjoyed my Curacao birds. 
To see more cute and wonderful critters please visit: Camera Critters.  Thanks to Misty Dawn for hosting Camera Critters and thanks for stopping by to see my post. I hope everyone is having a great weekend. Happy Birding.

33 comments:

  1. would not have considered feeding raw sugar! interesting! love those yellow birds, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the yellow warbler. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my first experience with Bananaquits in the Dominican Republic last year. They were everywhere. So cute, I loved every single one I saw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always get such lovely varieties to present. It is a treat to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic sight those pink flamingos must have been! From those huge birds to the little warblers--I love that third shot of the sweet little warbler!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting about the birds and the sugar. What an "odd" thing for a bird to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flamingos in the wild would be a great bird to see.

    Thanks for the visit and comment.

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow never knew the sugar craving of the birds!!
    lovely captures!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on seeing birds in their natural habitat. I don't mind seeing them in the zoo, learning to identify them while they are fairly stationary, but the thrill of seeing them in the wild is awesome! We are headed out today to the birding festival - hoping for some good shots! Loved these birds you have posted - the bananaquit was very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's always amazing to me...the birds you spot & are able to get such good pictures!! love the little bright yellow birds...snacking on the sugar plate!! and the Kestrel!! great shots eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be awesome to see those huge birds in the wild.
    I love the little warbler too,we get the warblers,but I`m never" quick on the draw" enough to photograph them,thanks for sharing,phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Eileen...Good for you to see the Flamingos in there wild state ..they are gorgeous!!
    Those yella fellas are just adorable ..never heard of the raw sugar thing!
    Kestrel is wonderful...I should be seeing them here soon!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Eileen, Nice photographs! I like the Kestrel a lot. Having seen Flamino flocks in the wild is neat! Those shown must be eating well as they are brightly pink! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have actually seen kestrels (in Oregon)...

    Getting lost was a wonderful thing for you two on that day. Beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh boy, wish I live there in your beautiful place Eileen lol. Gorgeous as usual! Happy mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The yellow birds are wonderful and of course who doesn't love the flamingos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never heard of putting sugar in a bird feeder, the little fellows really like it.

    I'm glad you got to see the flamingos in the wild. I have only seen them one time like that and it is better than the zoos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Somehow, I would have thought birds had a much healthier diet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pink flamingos, what a treat to see in the wild. The Bananaquits beautiful; I adore yellow birds; love the white stripes over their brow. Then the fantastic Yellow Warbler! I wouldn't have expected that sugar would be a safe bet for the birds, but then I guess it's no different to the sweet nectar sources available to other birds. We do have kestrel here. I sure did enjoy your Curacao birds Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The flamingos are lovely and those other birds are so tiny!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. absolutely gorgeous serious of bird photos.

    happy mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The yellow warbler is really cute!

    I think using the fan cover as a bird feeder is a really good idea, I have one or two dead fans which are about to lose their covers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful, beautiful birds, Eileen, and I didn't know about feeding raw sugar either...

    HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome bird shots, Eileen. Love it as always :)
    Thanks for dropping by...

    ReplyDelete
  26. love all of them, even if my favourite is the Kestrel :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Mother's Day! Nice shots, I have only seen pink flamingos in zoos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great set of birds. The Bananaquits look like they mean business.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You got some great shots, Eileen! The Yellow Warbler is gorgeous! Raptors are my favorite, so I love your Kestrel photo!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Delightful shots, Eileen! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. They are beautiful. Beautiful captures.

    ReplyDelete
  32. beautiful and colorful birds...so cute :-) Dropping by from Camera Critters

    http://www.kidsnpet.com/2012/05/barney-our-black-cat/

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...