Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Northern Parula

I am linking up my Northern Parula with World Bird Wednesday and Nature Notes

These are some shots from last weekend, hubby and I took local walk actually a hike from our door to the peninsula tip it is around 2 1/2 miles. It was a fun birdie walk lots of chirping going on and we heard lots of youngins.



I saw this Northern Parula singing his song for me. Is that the name of a Leon Russel song? The Northern Parula is a breeding bird for my area. I can hear them from my deck, they have a cute sound with  a loud ZIP at the end. A few years ago I had a Male Northern Parula knocking on the windows on my house. It would go from the den window to my living room window, singing and trying to knock himself out. He returned for a few years and still came to the windows. I felt bad that he could hurt himself but I was thrilled to see the Northern Parula right outside my windows.


The Northern Parula is blue above and they have white lines above and below the eye. They are called arcs but they look like white eyelashes or eyeliner. The male has a yellowthroat and breast with a mottled rufous band. My photo is cropped and little fuzzy but you can make out the beautiful colors on this bird.

Even fuzzy I love this shot showing my beautiful male singing and showing off his pretty colors. I was so mad at myself I grabbed the wrong camera going out my door and my batteries died before we even started heading back home. I left my newer camera home the Canon SX40IS. Not really new, I have had it almost a year now. The zoom on it is awesome! The stabilization even at 820mm is amazing. I am just sorry I didn't have it with me for these Northern Parula shots. These pic's were taken with the older model the Canon SX20IS, which has the equivalent of a 540 lens. I am not sure how many cameras can zoom out to 840mm without needing all the extra lenses, I have to say I could  not be happier with my Canon SX40IS.



To see more beautiful birds from around the world please visit World Bird Wednesday and to see some wonderful nature scenes visit  Nature Notes. Thanks to Springman the host of World Bird and to Michelle the host of Nature Notes. Thank you for stopping by to see my World Bird post. I hope the rest of your week is a great one, happy birding.

46 comments:

  1. A gorgeous bird! I liked reading about your cameras - glad you found one with a great zoom lens, even if you didn't have it at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sure is a beauty and it must have been lovely walking and hearing him sing to you. They sound like awesome lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the singing shots always steal my heart!!! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have many choices and take a wrong one sometime.

    Can't blame the camera.

    Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. he seems like a very proud and happy chap. thanks for sharing him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very pretty bird, nice photos. I can't identify birds but I enjoy seeing them fly around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though it is a bit blurry but I can see the bird is pretty and has a yellow color and yes it does look this tiny creature is singing to you. ^_^ Thanks for sharing.


    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Eileen, Great pictures of the Northern Parula... I've never seen one... Gorgeous!!!!

    Our Canons don't zoom very far... On my next camera, that will be a priority..... BUT--we do love the Canons overall.

    Have a great day. We are STILL waiting on RAIN. It went all around us last night.. Grrrrrr.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen one in person. sigh..
    You captured his beautiful colors perfectly, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of beautiful birds. Just wish I could hear their singing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping to see there guys someday anyway. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty bird ... cute too. Like the mosaic, well done!

    Irene :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great hike with the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A little beauty... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, you have a zoom that large? 820mm! I have to check on that camera. I coudl really use a new and lighter one. Great looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He's a beauty! I love the singing shot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good thing he didn't get hurt in the windows..I lost a cardinal that way.. Eileen..I just saw a bird that looked swallow-like flying fast just skimming the water of the pond with a white belly..I am thinking tree swallow and this isn't the first time I've seen it, but it is fast.. it would be a lifer for me...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous colors on the Parula! I have a difficult time keeping all the warblers straight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pictures you show. Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yet another bird I have never seen! Beautiful. What a treat! Thanks for sharing. I'm learning lots from your hikes. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful post of a bird I have yet to see Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your header....magnificent!
    And the photos...stunning! I do love nature, dear! And I'm greeting to see it through your eyes!

    ...
    Today it is my 25st weeding anniversary!-...I Praise the LORD...
    We have gone through so much...BUT WE ARE still here...with so much love...
    His cancer seam to be gone...and he is here with me. We do not have children...I could not get pregnant...so we live to each other...laughing...crying...being silly...and being in love...
    I praise the LORD for He is LOVE...and I'm so glad that I can't help spreading the news...

    God bless you too, Eileen.
    Isabel, aka, BlueShell

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Northern Parula is another new one, I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you dear...I appreciate ...It is an honor to me to have you as my friend. God Bless you and your beloved ones.

    Isabel, aka, BShell

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a sweet little bird Eileen!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a handsome chap, he does not visit this part of the world, so it was great to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. he is beautiful
    I love his yellow neck

    ReplyDelete
  28. So beautiful Eileen...I deeply enjoyed being down in your neck of the woods last week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have heard of these birds but never seen them. Very handsome.

    Nice review of your Canon cameras too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Eileen - I did not know this bird...you got some GREAT shots of him. Love the yellow chin :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. New one for me too, love the bright yellow on the throat.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Eileen, Lovely shots! Have a splendid day!

    ReplyDelete
  33. How I wish I could tag along on one of your birding walks. That bird is beautiful and a first (virtually of course) for me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I always keep my blurred shots because many times they are the ones that have the greatest story to tell. Loved yours! Thank you so much for stopping by and saying hello it is deeply appreciated!!! Happy bird watching.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What lovely captures of this bird!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautiful little bird. I'm glad you cropped the shot to give us a better view of all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I made a note in my memo on my cell regarding your camera. It's good to know. Maybe frustrating but I can see how pretty it is..very striking and what a treat to hear him sing! The red and white trim barn below is so cool! Hope you have a peaceful weekend-

    ReplyDelete
  38. i never heard of this bird...beautiful & bright...great pictures!

    (my camera is a canon powershot sx120 IS...on the less expensive side of the better ones, i think...and i love it! the BEST camera, for the money, that i've ever had.)

    happy weekend eileen!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...