Saturday, September 7, 2013

Shenandoah National Park

I am linking up Camera Critters and I'd-Rather-b-birdin   I hope you are joining in and posting your birds and critters.

Last Sunday hubby and I went on a daytrip to Shenandoah National Park, we enjoy riding on the Skyline Drive and hiking on the trails. 



A Downy Woodpecker seen on the Limberlost Trail.

The Limberlost Trail is my favorite trail. I knew the Hooded Warblers were nearby and I took my time looking for the warblers and other birds along the trail. I could hear the Hooded Warblers nearby along with a few American Redstarts.



Pictured above I was trying to follow my Hooded Warbler around the branches I started hearing noises that sounded like acorns or branches falling. So I followed the sounds to the top of the tree and noticed a tree swaying back and forth. Then I saw two black spots one big and a smaller black spot at the top of the tree. I zoomed in with my camera and I see two bears, one I think is the momma bear and the smaller definitely a baby bear.


The tree was swaying was actually from momma bear reaching for some kind of berries to eat. I think she had a feast up there in the treetop.

She was resting her head on the branch with the legs dangling off.  I wonder what the birds were thinking?




Momma looks comfy laying on the branches, she decided to take a nap in the tree. I hope she didn't fall out.

I did finally get to see the Hooded Warbler out in the open with a caterpillar in its mouth. But I think the excitement of seeing the bear I couldn't focus on the warbler. Seeing a bear up in the tree gives new meaning to the term "warbler neck". We stood on the trail and watched momma bear for some time, probably the longest bear sighting we ever had. We actually left before the bear, I did not want to be there when the bear came down the tree.


The American Redstart is beautiful, with its halloween colors black with the bright orange. I guess the birds do not mind sharing their trees and berries with the bears.

This week I am sharing some of my favorite memes. I have met some wonderful bloggers by joining in on the blogging parties and memes. Also, by linking your blog up you may increase your blog visitors and readers. So today, I am sharing the links for some of my favorite memes.


Sunday link up to: Mosaic Monday Mary at Little Red House has been hosting this fun meme you can join by creating mosaics and linking up. For my mosaics making I use the free site PicMonkey it is my favorite and easy to use.

Monday link up to: Our World Tuesday meet fellow bloggers from around the world sharing what is happening in their world.

Tuesday link up to : Wild Bird Wednesday Stewart is the Host of Wild Bird Wednesday. Fellow bloggers from around the world share their birds and photos.

Wednesday link up to : Nature Notes is one of my favorites..I love anything to do with nature. The birds, butterflies, flowers..a world of beautiful things.

Thursday link up to : Skywatch Friday is another one of my favorites. I love to skywatch, the sunrises and sunsets are beautiful. The cloud formations are beautiful. So many skies to share, a new one everyday.
Thursday link up to:NF Winged if you enjoy birds and other winged things  and like to share them with fellow bloggers.

 Saturday link up to: Camera Critters  and I'd-rather-b-birdin I am a bird and animal lover,  it is wonderful to see everyone's critters.

Saturday link #2 is Scenic Weekends I link up my travel blog Travel with Eileen it is fun to virtually travel the world.

There are many more blog memes and parties, these just happen to be some of my favorites. I hope someday you can join in on our fun. See you there!


Thanks for stopping by and for the nice comments! I wish everyone a happy weekend.
 To see more beautiful photos and cute critters

 please visit:  Camera Critters and I'd-Rather-B-Birdin. Thanks to the gracious hosts Misty Dawn of Camera Critters and to Anni of I'd Rather-B-birdin.


59 comments:

  1. Good shots....i like these woodpecker Eileen.

    Greetings and a lovely weekend,

    Joop

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting that you were able to see a bear (or better yet, two of them!). I have always wanted to see one in the wild. Wonderful pictures! Wishing you a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved our drives through Shenandoah in the spring,; nice to live close and visit more often. The leaves of that tree look like oak leaves, so were the bears eating acornqs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Eileen...I have not been feeling so great so I am behind on comments!!
    That bear is to funny , I might have run if it was close ; )!!
    I love the Redstart haven't seen one in year , maybe he will come by for Halloween lol!!
    I went back through some of your posts!! I love the Flicker, and the shot of the ferns and berries!!
    The Terns are cute especially the side by side and one standing on the
    other! : )
    Gorgeous sunset, and the one you thought might be the G.C.Flycatcher, I saw in my yard an that's what I thought it was too!!

    Have a good weekend
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen, you're such a good blogger for linking up to other blogs, some personal blogs, others memes. I love your birds, especially the Redstart. And my, oh my, to see a bear and its baby so close. That's adventure! Hope you're having a great weekend. Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! how awesome!!! glad she was relaxed enough to stay put and not make you nervous! i'd have been nervous, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so cool that you got pics of the bears! We saw one on vacation at the cottage, but I didn't get a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous!!!!! As much as I too love birds, the excitement of seeing a bear in the tree instead of a bird had to have been EXTREMELY exciting....

    Hope we get back to the Shenandoah area sometime.... Love that place!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Eileen That bear looks too close for comfort!! great shot of the woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos Eileen.
    The woodpecker is super, but how cool that two bears in the tree.
    This will never see here in the Netherlands.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice Eileen!! Love the bears:) Another beautiful walk full of discoveries! Hope you have a fun weekend. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hallo Eileen!!!
    What a lovely park you visit!!!
    It's nice seeing a bear!!And dangerous i think!!!I like the woodpecker !!!!!Gorgeous pictures!!!Thank you for sharing!I really enjoyed your walk!!Have a happy weekend!!Hugs!!!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like a great place for birding and enjoying nature!!

    i have never been that close to a bear, seems a lil scary but you got some great shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! A bear! That is so cool, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh My now seeing a bear up the tree would of been really something. We have no bears in NZ and friends have just come back from Canada - their bear sightings were the highlight on their trip.
    Beautiful photos as always.
    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, not one bear, but two! I believe I'd have snapped a couple quick pics and been outa there! I have a healthy respect for Bears. Love the Redstart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't the Black Bear, (and with cub) one to stay away from? I think the 'up the tree' version kept you safe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wundervolle Foto`s!
    Liebe Grüße,*Manja*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Bear!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the woodie and the bears are adorable. You were so lucky to see them. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, isn't she beautiful, mama bear and her baby, I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a grand sighting of the bear and cub!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You got some great pictures of the bears in the tree. I'm not sure how comfortable Mama's position was, but I guess it enabled her to enjoy a feast. We really like the Skyline Drive as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, looking for birds and finding bears. What a catch. :) Love it and you got great shots too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Eileen!
    What a wonderful candid shot of the bear!! I sure hope that branch will hold her for a time!! She looked perfectly content. Hope also that she was able to get down from there!! Cute bird shots but your bear shots are the WINNERS!! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, Eileen-how exciting seeing a bear. You were smart to "exit" before the bear came down. But I'm glad you were able to get some good shots!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice shots of the woodpecker and the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  28. How exciting to see not one bear but two bears! I don't believe I would stick around either until the bears came down from the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Although I would have liked to have seen the bear I think I'd have been a bit afraid too. Glad you moved on before they did!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How exciting to see the bears, Eileen! I hope you weren't too close!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a surprise! Hoo. Your perseverance sure paid off because you got that warbler!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love all of these bear shots! It's great you were able to see one that was relaxed enough so you could photograph it. I know thy can scare the wits out of anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello Eileen! Once again, your photos are amazing, and what a treat to see bears!! It has been so long since we've been to Shenandoah Natl. Park, and I think we're missing out on some place special to visit.

    I hope you're doing well, and are able to be out to enjoy this fabulous weather!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful photos - the bear is funny sleeping in the tree - but not funny face to face. Carry big stones and whack them together to frighten off a bear if you come upon one suddenly - that wasn't in a tree.

    Looks like a great place to get photos of birds - and bears.

    ReplyDelete
  35. seeing bear is both exciting and scary, your shots are very vivid, love them

    ReplyDelete
  36. da ist ja mächtig was los in den Bäumen Eileen
    LG zum wochenende vom katerchen der DANKE sagt für die schönen Bilder

    ReplyDelete
  37. You saw bears,

    and you didn't run away.

    Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  38. How exciting to see bears. I'm not surprised you didn't wait for them to come down from the branches.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great shots of beautiful birds, that beat is having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fantastic sightings Eileen, special congrats for the bears!
    If you have quite a few in wild (we saw some in North Carolina in the Apaches mountains when we lived in Raleigh), it is very difficult to see the very few that were introduced - very controversially! - in the Pyrenees mountains some years ago!
    Cheers, enjoy your sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great pictures of the bears, they must be big trees to surport the weight of the bears.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great captures. I would have been scared of the bear though.

    ReplyDelete
  43. How exciting that you saw the bears! I would have loved to see that. SO cute! Hope you're having a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I don't think I'll ever see a bear in a tree.

    That would make me speechless.

    I'd be as nervous as a kitty at a polecat convention.

    I would think it might be a great time to disappear before he spied me.

    I have to admire your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  45. More fantastic photos ~ you go to the best nature places ~ Love Mama bear ~ carol, xo

    ReplyDelete
  46. Incredible photos, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great adventure and photos. Thanks for sharing Eileen. I'd be scared to death at the view of the bear and would have run away probably. We were up in Lake Tahoe a few weeks ago, and our friends who live there reminded us to lock the cars, and windows and not leave any food out ... they have had bears open the windows of the house, get in the kitchen and open the fridge :)

    Cheers,
    Biti

    ReplyDelete
  48. The bear shots are terrific, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Lovely photo of the woodpecker ands that bear! Wow! I like the term warbler neck!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh wow. This was quite the adventure.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  51. What an amazing bear sighting... wonderful. I'm in awe. Nice birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Holy Cow that is crazy glad she didn't jump you. They are awesome shots. Have a great week.

    Saun

    ReplyDelete
  53. Awesome bird and bear shots. Didn't you feel afraid of seeing bears?

    Thanks for your visit, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh wow..those a great shots of the bear..you're brave!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Wow.. What a spesial moment! Thank you for sharing your meeting with these wonderful creatures. I would have been terrified, yet totally excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. My goodness what an exciting trip! I drove Skyline drive over 40 years ago. It was spring and the mountain laurels an dogwoods were in flower. Absolutely beautiful and special place.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...