Monday, September 14, 2009

Ricketts Glen State Park...they have a lot of water..no I mean waterfalls!


I feel like I have been enjoying the outdoor world and nature all my life and even more so all my married life. My hubby loves hiking, especially to the highest mountain top if he can and all the waterfalls he can see. So I guess this is our world.











Ricketts Glen State Park is located in Pennslyvania. The closest BIG town I know is Wilkes Barre.

This park is the only park I have been to that has a loop trail that passes 22 named waterfalls. Now that is a lot of water, especially after a rainy season.
I actually think we saw more than 22 if you go off the loop trail for a little bit.
The highest water fall named Ganoga Falls is 94 ft. This info from the PA DCNR "to see most of the waterfalls, a 3.2-mile loop can be taken by going on Highland Trail and the Glen Leigh and Ganoga Glen sides of the trail". I felt like I did 5 miles roundtrip which included the separate side trail to the last waterfall.





The loop trail consists of a lot of steps and they are uneven steps. Sometimes they can be wet steps, most of the waterfalls are close to the steps. So I would say it is some what of a difficult trail. Maybe not for the experience hiker. The rock walls, moss and ferns are out of this world beautiful. You got to go there and see them for yourself and while you are there check out the waterfalls.

I can not go anywhere without checking out the birds. On this hike I heard some Vireo's and I believe there were some Scarlet Tanagers. Being a birder, I have to stop and listen to every bird I hear. So I have to say it takes me awhile to do this whole loop trail. What’s the hurry, anyway! I have been twice with my family and most likely will go back again.


To see more of the That's My World photos and on Wednesday visit the Watery Wednesday photos please click on my links. Thanks for visiting my blog and pictures.
And a big thanks to all the guys and girls who put these memes together.

46 comments:

  1. Hi Eileen, I popped over here from your visit to my blog. Lovely blog and the last post is what I love: hiking, birding, enjoying ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picture and comments makes me want to go visit this park. This for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love state parks and I like your collage in previous post . Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen: That certainly looks like a great place to visit.
    To answer your question, they had some problems last year from the wild parties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place. Great shot of the waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's a lovely waterfall. Thanks for popping over my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love waterfalls and anyplace I can watch the birds and wildlife. Looks like a wonderful place. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous waterfall. Some places have plenty of water and others not enough. Pennsylvania is such a beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! 22 named waterfalls! We're definitely going to have to add this park to our list of places to visit. Your flickr pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really looks very wild and beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful world. 22 water falls is amazing count in a single park.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that sounds like an awesome trail - I love waterfalls but not many (well, any) in this neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, 22 waterfalls on one loop trail. That's a lot of powerful water energy. How long is the trail?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy a hike ... especially when the destination is a lovely waterfall ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to visit that place sometime. That's a gorgeous part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love waterfalls and this one is great. The way it splits is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous waterfall! It's very excating with waterfalls I think. I would love to visit that beautiful park.
    About my picture...yes it's lovely to sit there and relaxe. I have been doing that since i was a little girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is something special with a waterfall. ovely picture. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The waterfalls look gorgeous! This would be refreshing after a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Waterfalls, Wow, I like it very much.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. that's the place to go when you like waterfalls, like I do. i'll keep this in mind in case I find myself at that part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful waterfall! Looks like a place I would love to visit!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks like a great place to hike. I love waterfalls. It looks like you got a bunch in that park.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely beautiful picture. There is something amazing about waterfalls. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Eileen, it is Eden on earth !!! U're lucky to live in such environment.Let's love Mother Earth more!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was a vewry beautiful waterfall and what could be better than seeing a lot of them while hiking. You make it sound so blissful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lucky you that hubby likes hiking. Great falls photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is a great to visit,thanks for the tour & have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a beautiful place to hike.... 22 + waterfall's wow that amazing.... would love to visit that place.... beautiful photo's thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. SO BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS;)
    and have a nice week♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I would love to do that walk but as I live on the other side of the world I'll just have to enjoy looking at your post.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It´s a wonderful picture and a nice place to visit, i understand!

    Have a nice week /christina

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful, you're photos make me want to visit that park.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, Eileen! I love a good walk among the trees. It's always refreshing, especially when there's a waterfall at the end of it. :)

    Thanks for your visit. Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just love waterfalls. Wish I could go there.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very pretty! I bet the sounds of the rushing water is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've lived in PA and in MD - I know the Wilkes Barre area but haven't heard of the Park. It sounds very beautiful with all the water and greenery.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My husband seems to enjoy the mountains as well, so the majority of my photos consist of them rather than the ocean. Actually, the waterfalls are amazing..just beautiful and to think of that many! I bet you could get some neat macro of the moss..love that. In your profile pic, you look like your ready to ride down a river! I'm glad you get to see those wonderful birds..I wish I had a better zoom, but what the hey. Have a great evening-

    ReplyDelete
  39. Eileen - My father is from Wilkes-Barre. I haven't been in the area since I was a teenager, but I would definitely want to visit if I were still traveling there.

    Look forward to more of your photos - especially the national parks. I love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, yes, the waterfalls do fit both memes!

    ReplyDelete
  41. wonderful pictures, and information. I would love tohike that loop!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I lived in Beckley, WV (my initial pad). I miss the lush greenery, Great shot. Seems like a nice place to sit and soak.

    ReplyDelete
  43. these scenery are awesome! love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...