Saturday, June 16, 2012

Edwin Forsythe NWR

Happy Weekend and Happy Father's Day to all the daddies.

I am linking up with  Camera Critters

Hubby and I escaped to Atlantic City and the Jersey shore for an overnight trip. It was a quick trip but we had a lot of fun and we saw a lot of birds. One critter we saw during our trip was the Diamondback Terrapin at the Edwin Forsythe NWR.


Above is a female Diamondback Terrapin digging a hole to lay eggs. It was right along side the wildlife drive at the refuge. I hope the baby turtles will be safe from the cars. There are warnings and signs for the turtle crossings.


 The Diamondback Terrapin is a species of turtle native to brackish coastal swamps on the eastern and southern US. The name refers to the diamond pattern on its back.



The Glossy Ibis seem to be a common bird at the Edwin Forsythe NWR on Thursday.



Glossy Ibis feed in shallow water or brackish wetlands. Breeding adults have reddish brown bodies with shiny green wings.

Above you can see two turtles crossing the wildlife drive. I had to stop often to make sure the Terrapins made their way safely across the road.

Overhunting and fishing, drowning in crabpots, loss of habitat, highway mortality are all threats to the Diamondback Turtles.


To see more cute and wonderful critters please visit Misty Dawn's Camera Critters

Thanks to Misty Dawn for hosting and thank you for stopping by to see my post. Have a safe and happy weekend. Happy Birding!!!!

18 comments:

  1. Turtles sure have a lot to contend with. I hope the cars stop for them too!
    Have a great weekend, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious of your time at "The Brigantine." I've been there several times but never in spring or summer. It's an awesome place! Your shots looking up the road reminded me of driving that loop as if I could feel it! And, I would have LOVED to see that terrapin, too. It would have been a lifer for me. Glossy Ibis are fairly common in Maine. I've seen lots this spring, 18 all at once recently! They are such a curious looking bird. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely terrapins and the beautiful Glossy Ibis, a fun day you were having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting .. momma terrapin laying her eggs! Beautiful Ibis. Looks like a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They've got a lot to deal with! The road looks calm and friendly for these guys....but if it were a highway...forget about it. I've seen some areas in California with those situations. Yikes. Isn't the Glossy Ibis a cool bird? That greenish sheen on the wings along with the beak make for a unique bird. We had several visiting here a month ago and I watched them for several hours feed and fly. Cool finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful set of shots. Love those terrapins - I've never seen them in the wild before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, I forgot about CC. Have to see if it have some critters. The Glossy ibis is on my wish list. :)

    If you wonder about the Sanderling lousy shot. They don´t come here so when they spotted two of them it was shouted out for everyoen to hear. They were far out so, lousy shot. But as my blog is a species blog I aded them. But I was lucky to find a great video, it is fun to watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting Ibis & terrapin, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope no speeding vehicle drives that way. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eileen....enjoyed viewing your photos as always...and I must say I stopped by your other blog also for a short time...loved the buildings on the island that you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been seeing a lot of Glossy Ibis this year up our way. But not as nice as these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's not easy, being a turtle!!

    enjoy the rest of the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic pictures, nice and interesting post...
    Best regards, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful shots, so many turtles all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. GREAT pictures!! and you know i LOVE turtles...in fact i used to have a Diamondback...ages ago...he lived in a kiddy pool on the porch of my apartment! they have the CUTEST faces!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see those turtles around my lake where I walk.
    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reminds me of a desert tortoise. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...