Saturday, February 16, 2013

GBBC= Great Backyard Bird Count

I am linking up with Camera Critters and I'd-rather-b-birdin

This weekend is the annual Great Backyard Bird Count.
If you are also interested in joining in on the Great Backyard Bird Count I am including the link GBBC and the dates are Feb 15-18, 2013.

 or http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc. It is a joint project of Audubon and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.  You can submit your bird photos and also explore the results from your state, city or neighborhood.

These are some of the birds I counted on Friday 15th the first day of the GBBC. You can count on all the days 15th-18th or just one of the days. The website makes it very easy to list your birdcount. Since, I had to work on Friday I only counted in the evening on Friday after work. I usually see more birds early in the morning.


 Above is one of the Pine Siskins, I've been seeing. If you would like to participate in the GBBC , you can count in your yard or favorite park or the beach. Or you can hand in counts for all of your favorite birding spots.


The Redbellied Woodpecker is a daily visitor. He actually waits for me to put out the peanuts for him, sometimes he is making his sounds like he telling me to hurry up.



I have a lot of Carolina Chickadees in my yard. Now, I have to see how many will show up at the same time in my time period for counting. On Friday the 15th , I counted 5 Carolina Chickadees in my yard. You can count for 15 minutes or how ever long you want. If I count today ( Saturday) I could see more than 5 chickadees.


A few male and female Cardinals are usually around early in the morning and later in the afternoon.


The female Cardinals are busy eating or chasing other Cardinals away. I seem to catch my birds with their mouths full of food.


On Friday, the first day of the Great backyard bird count, I had 8 White-throated Sparrows on my deck at the same time. Just so you do not count the same birds twice, I can only count how many of one species I see at one time. So unless more than 8 WT Sparrows show up later on my deck 8 will be my total for the WT Sparrows on Friday.

Thanks for stopping my blog, I am hoping I can convince a few of my blogging friends to join in on the Great Backyard Bird Count. I have been participating in the count for years now, I am helping with this science project  and I am enjoying the birds.

To see more wonderful critters and photos please visit and join in on the fun with Misty Dawn's Camera Critters and I'd-rather-b-birdin

Thanks to Misty Dawn for hosting Camera Critters and to Anni the host of I'd rather-b-birdin. I wish everyone a great weekend and Happy Birding or Happy Counting.

52 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos Eileen.

    I never seem to be able to photograph birds, I'm never quick enough!

    Have a good weekend.

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uma foto mais linda que a outra!ADOREI!! beijos,chica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful captures of your backyard bird visitors Eileen.

    and thanks for the Great Backyard Bird Count info- i will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bright colors, very cute. Today also I have birds :))
    Have a good weekend.
    a kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. simply beautifully captures shots....lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I participated yesterday! I counted 9 kestrels, 4 eagles, and the usual cast of characters. The app for my phone made it super easy! Love your shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. tolle Bilder von den Besuchern am Futterhaus

    LG vom katerchen der ein schönes Wochenende wünscht

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Eileen, I just love your bird shots, and the different birds you have there! Gorgeous photos of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful birds. Awesome shots,Eileen.

    http://www.1sthappyfamily.com/2013/02/after-bath.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just wonderful Eileen. I have a Red Bellied that is coming everyday too.

    But, the little dickens is extremely camera shy and very quick!

    Wonderful shots and a great way to start out my Saturday morning!

    Happy week!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the redheaded woodpecker and the chickadee. I would only be able to count sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've never participated. thanks for adding a bit more info on how you count - recording the most seen at one time to avoid double and triple counting the same birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this Eileen. I wish I had a set up where I could comfortably catch some photos when the birds are feeding. I would have to redesign the windows on the back of my house I am afraid, to do so. Hopefully I can participate in the BYBC some day in the future! Until then, I am enjoying your gorgeous photos and great counts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, would love to hang out in your backyard and birdwatch. These are great shots. Esp love the red-bellied woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful shots. Your bird friends look happy and well-fed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your backyard always seems to be filled with birds, the counting must keep you busy. I love your shot of the female Cardinal with the full mouth.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such an interesting and varied bird population in your garden Eileen.
    I love birds and I feed them everyday - but I only see sparrows, blackbirds, thrush, mynahs and silver eye. We don't have any of the pretty coloured birds.
    I can hear Tui's in the trees but they are very shy of humans!

    Enjoy your weekend counting!
    Shane ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. You get lots of cool birds visiting you and the pictures are super.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How neat! Your photos are amazing as usual. Such great detail! I love the woodpecker. We have a lot of those out here at our place. So funny how you catch photos of them with their beaks full of food :)

    I thought of you the other day when we watched a movie called "The Big Year." Have you seen it or have you ever done a big year?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Todas as fotos são lindas!
    Você é privilegiada por ter tantos pássaros lindos por perto e incrível para fotografar com tanta habilidade.
    Bom fim de semana.
    :*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Eileen, you are a very disciplined and careful birdwatcher and observer. It was a pleasure for me to read this post and to contemplate your beautiful photos. Have a delightful Sunday, ciao! :)

    http://1brindemuguet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

  22. Those are very nice shots. I love bird watching. I should look into the counting of them. Thanks for sharing!

    I have lots of birds in my neighborhood, I was feeding them, but got very fed up with the squirrels! If I feed them again, got to figure out how to keep away those darn squirrels xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning captures Eileen - thanks for sharing your skills and the subjects. Don't know about his belly, but that Woodpecker's "hat" is sure red!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hallo Eillen!Very beautiful birds in your yard! Awesome shots!!!I love that cardinal bird!Hope you have a lovely weekend!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Here I am, lovin' birds like I do, and I never heard of the GBBC. Dang. Love your images today Eileen. As always.

    Happy weekend from Anni @ Hootin' Anni's AND I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cool shots. We don't have a huge variety of birds here in SoCal, at least not in my backyard. I see finches and sparrows and hummers. When I go out hiking in the mountains, I see scrub jays and Acorn Woodpeckers, but none of these beauties. We have a lot of crows and pigeons too. Now and then I'll see a Red Tailed Hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing! The cardinal is really a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. this sounds like fun!!

    i have yet to, but would like to, just make a list of all my back yard birds. that would not be too difficult and it is something i should do. i one had a pheasant in the yard.

    beautiful pictures today eileen!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Of course the RED birds get my vote!! But your photos are all so clear and beautiful and the bird count sounds like a lot of fun!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. No birds in my backyard here in Florida sadly. too bad I'm not back in Oregon for this weekend. It's a great project that they are doing; thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love watching the birds. You and I have many of the same species of feathered visitors.
    I have never heard of the GBBC, will have to check it out since I will be home tomorrow and able to count my little birdy visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your bird pictures are truly beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I did my bird count yesterday too. Come one over to see. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dearest Eileen、
    GORGEOUS shots of coloful birds as always. Sure must be lovely tobe able to walk your yard♡♡♡  We cannot see these amazingly colorful ones here(^^;)

    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm only a beginner, with way more Life Birders than life birds, but I thought I'd throw in my fifteen minutes for the count. Then I gave up when the first bird I saw (and then counted thirty more of them) was the gull I've never been moved to identify because gulls bore me. Perhaps if I keep my head down...

    ReplyDelete
  36. A beautiful bunch of birds, I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great sequence!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  38. wonderful photos! What a lovely selection of birds too to have for the count

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great image series showing some beautiful birds.
    A sure sign of spring here is when the starlings come - we've seen it in the garden today, had also taken some pictures :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  40. we have a similar count in Sweden I think last weekend in January. Nice set of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wonderful of you to join in the Bird Count Eileen. Loved your photos as always. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely shots of the birds. Happy birding!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Fabulous close-up pictures of your backyard birds.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I congratulate you on the sparrows, I have a hard time identifying others than the passer domestics (house sparrow) :(

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful birds. You are lucky to see those birds in your backyard

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...