Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Warblers, a new yardbird

I am linking up with Wild Bird Wednesday and Nature Notes

I think I have mentioned that I am not one of the "serious" birders, one that keeps state and county lists, year list and so on. I do try to keep track of new yardbirds and I keep one life list of everybird I see. I think it is exciting to see a "new" bird in your yard.


These photos were shot from my dining room window. My newest yardbird was the Tennessee Warbler, also seen on the same Walking Stick berries is a Northern Parula, bottom right is a female Black-throated Blue Warbler. 


So this weekend I see my new yardbirds just looking out of my dining room window and just past my deck is a weeping cherry tree and a wild pokeberry bush. And this is where my new yardbirds come into my yard.  Most of the birds seem to love my pokeberries. I also have some wild Devil's Walking Stick growing just for the berries. Most gardeners would never have these weeds in their yards but I actually love the Devils Walking Stick and the Pokeberry. They attract birds!

Above is the back of the Tennessee warbler and the bird on the right is the Northern Parula. The berries are also attracting the Pine Warblers and a few others I missed getting a photo.


My new yardbird the Tennessee Warbler.


 It seems my female hummingbird has a taken constant perch on the weeping cherry tree and insist all other birds stay away from her. I have watched this hummer chasing catbirds, titmouse and cardinals. She chased away a warbler just when I was about to get a shot. LOL, she is a meanie.





Above is the female Black-throated Blue Warbler.  The female appears to be brownish-green tinged with blue, cheek a bit darker, a white broken eye-ring, buffy underparts and has the white wing patch.

This the male Black-throated Blue Warbler. The easy way to id the Black-throated Blue's is their little white patch spot on their wings. The white patch is seen on both the males and the females.

The male has a black throat and face, white underparts and black sides. I think it is cool that I am able to watch the warblers come and go right from my dining room window and the kitchen windows. I have some cool yardbirds. I hope you enjoyed my post and Happy Birding everyone.

Enjoy the rest of the week, I will still be watching my pokeberries to see of something new shows up.


To see more beautiful and wonderful photos please visit: Stewart's Wild Bird Wednesday and Nature Notes.
Thanks to Stewart for hosting Wild Bird Wednesday and thanks to Michelle for hosting Nature Notes.

48 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passar aqui cedinho ainda aqui no Brasil e ver essas belezas da natureza, faz começar bem o dia! Lindo dia!

    beijos,chica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you-I enjoy watching bird, but don't go crazy with lists, etc. It's always fun to discover a new bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fantastic shots from your window!!How luky you are dear Eileen!!Thank you for your lovely comment!!
    I wish you a great day!!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing, Eileen! Can't believe that you have so many birds in your garden and your shots are fantastic! Have a good day and I wonder what showed up next... Christa

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful little creature!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many birds, so little time! That, and moths. Many new ones for me. I'm having a hard time finding time and energy to research them!!!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the "window views" of the warblers. (Like the poke berry too . . ., great photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love all your yard birds eileen!!

    have a happy tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Eileen,
    Wow, splendid shots of Warblers with beautiful berry tree. Nature sure is wonderful♡♡♡ I ish I could see these lovely birds!
    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautifully captured! Loved your photos and what a view...from your dining room.The blossoms are lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you get a great variety of warblers. i've been happy to see a few migrating here, this week. a wilson's warbler was all i could i.d. and was thrilled to see the tiny thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely bird to welcome to your garden, watch out for my next News From Italy post as I think it will interest you, it is a bird one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got a great variety coming to your yard. Nice catch on all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such great shots of the different yard birds! I wish I could retain the identification information for the birds, but sadly, that seems to be beyond me! I just watch, photograph and enjoy! Thanks for the info on them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very nice photo series, great bird shots,
    bizarre and amazing flowers ...
    Love greetings, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! Beautiful photos and so many interesting informations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The last 2 photo, amazing! perfect time to take the photo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great sightings!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great serie of photos, - Happy WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you have a lot of activity! Congrats on the new sightings! The warblers are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the new yard birds Eileen! You got some nice shots of the different species together in the same bush. Plus you have the bonus of being able to watch them from inside the house if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Honest to goodness Eileen, if you're not a serious birder, there isn't even a word small enough for my amateur efforts! (I can only aspire to see as many as you do, let alone take such beautiful pictures.) I love your warblers -- the blue one in that pink flowering bush is just fabulous. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The warbler is a beautiful bird. I enjoyed all the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photos of beautiful birds - and I think any plant that attracts birds is great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Tennessee Warblers colours look a little bit like the Greenfinches that visit my garden. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the Warblers and I love your coolness.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are gorgeous birds, Eileen! And I get very excited to see new birds in my backyard too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice to have so many birds right outside your windows. Nice shots too!
    The small flowers on your pokeberrie fascinated me, so I seeked for the swedish name of this plant. And I found it and I recognised it too, my mother use to have such berries years ago. But I also read that the plant is poisonous for bigger animals. Did you know that?
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful images Eileen.

    Like they're right off a Hallmark Card!!!

    A lot of warblers are appearing here and there in our area also.


    Silent Silhouettes

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love that Tennessee warbler!

    Since I am a novice birder, I have a life list only. But I can see how people might work on separate lists for yard, county, province... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. What great a birdwatching view you have through your window! Wonderful captures of these delightful little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a collection of beautiful little birds you have and smart you to grow those berries that attract them. Sounds like a win win relationship to me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm not a serious birder either ... just love watching them and their habits. You've got some nice visitors in your backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow, the Tennessee warbler is so very cute. i really enjoyed all of your photos, dear eileen. in fact they brought a smile to my face,
    so thank you for that.

    have a great day!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. hoe nice o get new friends in your yard. I hope they weill stay a while. Love your shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely shots. Luck you to have so many wonderful garden birds.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your list must be extensive. You sure know how to attract them so they come to you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Amazing! Warblers are so difficult to get on camera. What a beautiful selection of birds you have in the backyard. Excellent. I'm hoping to spot more of them again this winter. We have some here right now...but they are a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Lovely captures. One has to be very patient for these captures, you get them well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. So exciting to see a new bird in your yard! Delightful collection of shots!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think you are right to have the plantings you do Eileen. I like the look of Pokeberries and it makes sense that they would draw the birds in.
    Your bird variety shows they like your yard so you're doing something right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. super new birds for your yard... I have seen the Tennesse Warbler while in Venzuela.

    I treasure my garden bird list, and have to agree that a new bird on the list is as exciting as it gets

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wowzer you get fantastic yard birds! I was happy to get a plain old butterbutt in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Congrats.I love seeing a new bird in my yard..wonderful captures Eileen.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  46. You always have some of the best bird shots I see anywhere. Love seeing all the birds that I do not get to see at my feeder.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...